Friday, December 18, 2009

Knitting club at work

I've been trying to form a knitting group at work for some time now. Unsuccessfully. My biggest obstacle is not knowing any other knitters here. I've spoken to a woman in HR to see if she had any ideas for promoting it, and she's enthusiastic but really busy. I got permission from the building manager to have our meetings in the canteen where there are free sodas and coffee, and even snacks. So all I need is some other knitters!

I have a friend at another of the dot coms here, and I belatedly discovered that she is a knitter, but the company sold them and they moved to another part of town (sad to lose her here too because she's a really cool woman). In my company, it's mostly guys. Women are pretty unusual in the programming world. So I always feel a bit embarrassed to knit around them, even when we are officially off work, at our Thursday night happy hours and such.

Anyway, I've put up signs on a couple of the floors of the building, but I haven't gotten any nibbles yet. I think I'm going to have to be more brazen and go up to the canteen and knit at lunchtime. It's the only way I can think of to advertise that I am a knitter and possible smoke out the other ones here.
 

No comments: