Thursday, February 21, 2008

Time flies when you're busy

I can't believe it's been a whole week since I wrote something. I've been doing a lot of different things and the week got away from me. First of all, happy birthday to my mom, a little belatedly (2/19). Happy anniversary to me for 18 years of doing something right (2/10).

I've been dyeing wool and spinning and also knitting away on a sock from the Socks That Rock (Blue Moon Fiber Arts) sock club. That's been fun and interesting. The yarn is different from the sock yarn I've been buying a lot of lately (Claudia Hand Painted and Sundara, mostly). It's different (not necessarily better or worse, just different); it's firm and springy and I'm enjoying knitting with it. I decided to follow the pattern as closely as I can, suppressing my usual instinct to mod it up. And then, after doing about 2 inches on it, I lost the pattern! I always keep my patterns in plastic sleeves with the yarn, but somehow I mislaid this one. So I had to wait until I could get another copy. Fortunately I met a woman at my LYS who is also in the club, who shared her copy with me until I get my replacement from STR/BMFA.



The pattern is actually kind of meh. I think the heel is pointy and awkward. But I'm enjoying working with the yarn, and I'm getting the experience of being in a club, which I've never done before, so I'm going with it.



I spun the "Looks like teen vomit" roving, which actually came out kind of well after being spun. I spun the sea blue/green as well. Here they are together:



I finished plying them together and they came out terrific!



Not to mention a ton of it - 482 yards of 3 ply, hand dyed and handspun merino wool.

No comments: