Thursday, January 10, 2008

2 new yarns and finished socks

The roving (100% merino wool, "Everything's Just Peachy" colorway, which I bought on etsy from copperpot):


The singles:


The plied yarn on the bobbin:


And the finished skein (99 yds, worsted weight):


I thought it would be cool to show it from source material to finished yarn.

Silver carbon bamboo, which I spun myself (173 yds, a slightly heavier but still worsted weight):
silver carbon bamboo
I bought the roving, bamboo carbon fiber, called Black Gold or Black Diamond by those in the industry, from Louet. I've offered this to my mom if she wants it, although it seems to me as though it might be somewhat high-maintenance to knit with. You'd probably need to use metal needles, because bamboo ones would catch the fine, fine fibers, but the yarn would easily slide off the metal. So, possibly a PITA.

Here is a pair of socks I made for Adam's sister Tammy. They are also orange, but knitted from a much finer gauge yarn (sock weight, from Sundara):
tammy's socks

No comments: