Sunday, April 18, 2010

Kevlar yarn for custom Ov Glove

We have a treasured pot holder from Adam's sister Tammy that is made out of knitted Kevlar. If you get it wet it transmits heat quite efficiently, so you have to be careful not to do that, but otherwise it's a fantastic pot holder. It's called an Ov Glove. Anyway, we mused aloud, "It would be so cool if you could get Kevlar yarn and knit with it," so I could make Adam one for his left hand, which needs special shaping. Naturally, upon Googling the phrase "Kevlar yarn" I discovered that one can in fact buy Kevlar yarn on eBay for a pretty reasonable price. For $14 (including shipping) I got 500 feet (167 yards), which is enough to make another, custom shaped, Adam's Left Handed Ov Glove.

Here is the pic from eBay:



It doesn't look like it will be a tremendous pleasure to knit. It doesn't even look like it will produce the same kind of fabric as the Ov Glove we already own:



Aside from being extremely dirty, our current Ov Glove is also a matte fabric, as opposed to the high sheen I see in the Kevlar yarn photo.

Well, when I receive the yarn, I will be able to evaluate it better with it in hand. I am very interested to see what it will be like!
 

No comments: