Thursday, January 31, 2008

Didn't make the cut

I got back my submitted pattern idea from Interweave Knits today. It still looked like such a good idea to me. I'm disappointed they didn't take my pattern.



I ran the pattern through the Sweater Wizard now for the first time and in the yarn I specified it would require about 1700 yards and cost about $150 in materials to make it. That is kind of expensive. I wonder if they take that into consideration. I thought about going over to my LYS to buy the yarn - or buying it online, for that matter, although I would probably get it at my LYS to support them - and realized I am daunted at the prospect of knitting an entire sweater. I've never been intimidated at that prospect before, but I'm not going to many meetings these days and I am not getting as much knitting done, unless you count at stoplights in my car, so I know it would take me forever to get it finished. Plus my confidence has taken a thrashing after getting rejected by both IK and Knitty. I still can't figure out what would have turned Knitty off my dinosaurs, and it bothers me. After previewing the Spring '08 IK, I think my design is similar enough to other designs they did choose to print, that they already had stuff mine was like and mine didn't do enough new for them. I don't know. Anyway, I've designed plenty of sweaters and other items in the past, and it's not that I don't think I can do it, but more that I'm a little depressed and feel like what's the point anyway.

No comments: