Failures are great for helping to figure out what to do differently next time.
I mixed up dye and eye-droppered it onto the roving in random spots. I used all the green but only a little of the brown, then I dumped the rest of the brown into the hot water bath to dye the whole quantity.
I used too highly concentrated dye for the eye dropper step. Too much of it "stuck" where it hit and it didn't spread out. I thought the dye would spread out through the fiber more than it did. Good to know for future reference when I don't want it to spread out. I didn't use enough of the brown to get a dark enough ecru for the entire batch; I only used about a half teaspoon for 287 g. For saturated color they suggest a teaspoon per 100 g; I was guessing at what would be a faint tint, but it wasn't enough. For the eye droppered bits, I guess I used about a quarter of the brown I mixed, so that left only 3/8 tsp for the whole batch. I probably should have used twice that. The green color isn't nearly blue enough, compared to what I was going for. I didn't test it on a coffee filter, just kind of guessed based on what I saw in the cup after it was mixed.
I still think it might spin up really neat, but it probably won't. More on that as it develops. :)
Onto other news...
I finally got my hair cut. It had been two years since the last visit to a professional haircutter. I just got a trim, but it was way overdue!
Today I am meeting the last of the Princeton applicants I agreed to interview. Then I have to write reports on them and send those in. I'll be glad when it's done. It wasn't a hard thing to do, just required scheduling and taking time to do it, and it's a task I'd like to have off my plate.
This evening we have a Superbowl party to go to AND I'm sort of on call for work in case anything should go awry in the application I manage, so Adam's bringing his laptop to the party for me to use if I should get a call. I SOOOOO hope that doesn't happen.